Wednesday, August 15, 2007

Melea Mullican

"Ooh!" Mrs. Crow shouts. "Look at that shiny object in the sky!" Now Mrs. Crow is our English teacher. Yes I understand what you all must be thinking. IS SHE CRAZY? Oh yes she is about as crazy as monkey on a lawn mower, but she is also very cool. But today our Cotaco Jr. High 4th period English class was surprised to see that instead of her usual ADD moment Mrs. Crow was onto something.
In the sky floated a small glistening object reflecting of the sun. It was unusual looking (and for Mrs. Crow to notice was no surprise), but none of us had a clue of what to make of it. Before Mrs. Crow could stop it the entire class room's nose was pressed up against the window in amazement.
"Is that a balloon?"I asked. To me it looked like a tiny silver round speck in the sky. Could it be a balloon? So eventually we were all back in our seats (supposedly listening but just like normal 13 year old we were listening as well as your dog would when it is busy chasing a squirrel up a tree) about elements of fiction.
The day passed slowly and by 3:00 I thought no one would remember the object in the sky. Well one person remembered, Kayla, my best friend in fourth period English with me. "Did you see that spooky thing in the sky?!" she exclaimed. Kayla is ALWAYS hyper.
"Ya it was so cool! I wonder what it was. It looked kinda strange. You know like that old woman on 3rd St." I told her. I was laughing about that picture of Ms. Danker (the old woman) that had just popped in my head as we walked.
"Ha Ha very true! I'm not sure. Oh well you were probably right about it just being a balloon."
"I guess so, but that is very uninteresting I had hoped it was something better. Well see you tomorrow! Bye!"
"BYE!" So we headed off in different directions toward home. I looked up in the sky, on my way home, to see if it was still there but it was not. "Oh well." I sighed to myself.
Later that night I became bored so I was flipping through channels when I stopped on one with a siting report of that same mysterious object from before. Quickly I dialed Kayla's number.
"Turn to channel 3." I told her.
"It's a report on that object! Hang on let me three was Ashley." Ashley is our other best bud. We are pretty much inseparable.
"Hey! Ya I'm here. What channel was it?" Ashley asked.
"Channel 3 you dodo!" Kayla laughed.
"Shh! It's back!" I shut them both up.
"It was small," one woman told the reporter, "and bright. It almost looked like a a star in the middle of the day."
The reporter then turned back to the camera. "No one knows what that could have been. Because it can no longer be seen there is no way to tell what, as some people have come to call the day star, truly is."
"Did you hear that?" I asked them over the phone.
"Ya that is so weird. I thought for sure they would have a better idea of what it was than a Day Star. Didn't you?"
"YA!" Ashley chimed in. "A DAY STAR? You've got to be kidding!"
"Ya but oh well." I was unhappy with the results. "Hey, I have got to go. I will see you two tomorrow."
"Ok bye." They said together.
So there you have it. Was it a figment of every one's imagination? Really a Day Star? Or just a simple balloon in the sky? Just like how many licks it takes to get to the center of a tootsie pop the world may never know.

1 comment:

student said...

1. Cute story.
2. Great word choice and dialogue.
3. Overall, great job.